Re: [exim] Configuring for non-encrypted MUA to localhost. …

Author: Andrew C Aitchison
To: peter
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Configuring for non-encrypted MUA to localhost. TLS-on-connect, exim to smarthost.
On Thu, 30 Mar 2023, Peter via Exim-users wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Debian 11 here with exim4 4.94.2-7.
>
> On the localhost, the MUA needs a non-encrypted
> connection on port 25 to exim.
>
> Exim to remote smarthost is TLS-on-connect with AUTH
> PLAIN. The connection was verified with this command.
> $ openssl s_client -crlf -connect mail.easthope.ca:465
>
> How should this be configured?

Ah. I have finally got my head around what you are attempting to do.

If you need exim to send mail to port 465 on the "smarthost" you
cannot just tell it to send the mail ... that would go to port 25
(and use starttls). You need exim to pretend to be an MUA/MSA.

I'm not sure anyone else in the discussion has taken in that point, so
I'm sending this now, while I reead the spec and consider how it might
be done, though my first thought is that you need a transport especially
for this host with options to force the connection to port 465 and
tls-on-connect.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                    andrew@???