Re: [exim] New install EXIM + Dovecot - auth permission erro…

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] New install EXIM + Dovecot - auth permission error
On 2023-02-01 Gary Stainburn via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> Hi folks.

> I'm setting up Dovecot and local user accounts on an existing Centos 7 +
> EXIM install.

[...]
> However, when I try authenticate as a user, the following errors get logged:

> 2023-02-01 12:50:11 dovecot_login authenticator failed for hub.********
> ([10.1.1.103]) [**.**.**.**]: 435 Unable to authenticate at present: unable
> to connect to UNIX socket (/var/run/dovecot/auth-client): Permission denied

> The socket exists, but does not have suitable permissions.

> [root@vps2 exim]# ll /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
> srw-------. 1 dovecot root 0 Feb  1 11:47 /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
> [root@vps2 exim]#

> Is it simply a case of changing ownership / permissions, and if so, what do
> I change them to?

> If not, can anyone tell me what I need to do please.

On Debian I have configured dovecot to open a socket for exim with
exim-tailored permissions:
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf
[...]
### SASL listener for exim start
  # SASL exim
  unix_listener /var/spool/exim4/dovecot.auth-client {
     mode = 0660
     group = Debian-exim
  }
### SASL listener for exim end