Re: [exim] exim 4.96 stopping because postfix is starting?

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim 4.96 stopping because postfix is starting?
On 2022-12-19, Johnnie W Adams via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> Sigh. I am slower than usual today. Without the R=, that message ID does
> come from a hard bounce failing dnslookup. What I am left not understanding
> is how to route such messages to our inbound node rather than out to the
> internet.
>
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 4:13 PM Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <
> exim-users@???> wrote:

Exim thinks that the return path is "redacted@???" and that that
address is on the internet. If you need special handling for locally
generated messages (like bounces and cron jobs) you can start that in
the "NOT_SMTP" acl by setting an "acl_m_" variable and then do the
special handling with a custom router (probably using the manualroute
mechanism) that checks for the variable.

A few more layers of this and you end up with something resembling a
tuba; many gates, and pipes and heading every which way. This type of
convoluted email plimbing can easily make mail loops and software lasers,
it might be better to give exim the information it needs to pass SPF and
do the DKIM signing.

--
Jasen.