[exim] Weirdness when Exim calls SpamAssassin - how to debug…

Author: Adam Nielsen
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Weirdness when Exim calls SpamAssassin - how to debug?
Hi all,

I'm running into an issue with the way Exim 4.94.2 invokes
SpamAssassin (SA).

I have added some custom rules to SA, however when Exim invokes it, my
custom rules are ignored.

However if I use the "spamc" command to manually pass an e-mail into SA
(or if I run SA from the command line) then my custom rules are picked
up correctly.

I originally thought this was a SA problem, however I am unable to
reproduce the issue using SA tools, it is only when Exim calls SA that
I see the problem.

Is there any sort of test mode I can use to see how exactly Exim is
passing the message to SA so I can further debug the problem? I've had
a look through the command line docs and I can only see test modes for
virus scanners, but nothing stands out for the spam checker.

I'm specifying SA in the Exim config as:

spamd_address = 127.0.0.1 783

It runs correctly and the default rules are applied, with the e-mail
being delivered with newly added spam headers, so everything appears to
be working fine. I have added many custom rules in the past (with the
same Exim config) and it has worked fine, it's just the latest custom
rule I added only gets used when *I* call SA, not when Exim calls it,
and I haven't been able to work out why.

Many thanks,
Adam.