Re: [exim] message has lines too long for transport

Author: Gedalya
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] message has lines too long for transport
On 5/30/22 03:42, Jarland Donnell via Exim-users wrote:
> This defaults to RFC spec which is 998 characters, but that's not where the conversation should end. Absolutely no one out there is creating software that adheres to the RFC standard. You can send an email from Outlook, Roundcube, Thunderbird, or whatever which violates this standard and it will be accepted by all major email providers with no issue.

It will also be forwarded, unmodified. I see all the time incoming messages with long lines from gmail, albeit perhaps authored by a non-Google agent and submitted to Google via SMTP. Google didn't fold the lines, nor will I. I just have to disable long-line limits everywhere.

Based on what I see, it does seem like long-line messages will typically be automated reports, order confirmations and such, legitimate promotional emails from reputable senders, and outright spam. However, spam aside, mailgun, mailchimp, gmail, amazon, sendgrid, and yahoo all submit to me mail with long lines, and rejecting it does not seem to be an option.