Re: [exim] message has lines too long for transport

Author: Victor Ustugov
To: Evgeniy Berdnikov via Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] message has lines too long for transport
Evgeniy Berdnikov via Exim-users wrote on 19.11.2021 09:16:
>>> Yes, "References:" has 1018 octets while RFC limit is 998.
>>> This is known bug for several Outlook versions.

>>> Better solution is to fold this header (split over multiple lines).
>>
>> How do I achieve that with exim-4.95? Config option??
>
> There are several variants to try:
>
>  1. Use header add/remove directives in ACLs and/or routers to "reinstall"
>     problematic "References:" header if its length is too high, in hope
>     Exim would fold it correctly.

Exim doesn't fold such headers correctly.

> 2. Use transport filters (ch.24) on delivery stage.

Even if the transport filters correctly fold the headers, the
max_received_linelength variable will not be recalculated and may still
be greater than message_linelength_limit.

And the error "message has lines too long for transport" will still occur.

This error will occur even if a very long header is removed.

--
Best wishes Victor Ustugov
mailto:victor@corvax.kiev.ua