Re: [exim] Working around “exim: ?=permission =?utf-8?Q?de…

Author: Michael Steigman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Working around “exim: ?=permission =?utf-8?Q?denied”
Thanks for the response. You got me on the right track. As the name of project I linked to suggests, this is a simple relay - there is no need for local delivery and the daemon listens on 8025 rather than 25 so the Dockerfile removes the setuid bit.

For giggles, I looked into reenabling setuid and it appears that it’s not possible without some administrative tinkering (which I don’t have privileges to do).

I checked out Chapter 56, section 3 of the docs and don’t see any advice about running without setuid to either root or exim. That said, if this setup works running under the exim user:group is there any place you could suggest I check when running this as another user, given the fact this is a relay? Is there a way to enable more debugging info (exim is started with -bdf)? I tried strace but I don’t see anything obvious in that dump.

Here’s where I’m at right now with the same error:

RUN apk --no-cache add exim tini && \
mkdir /var/spool/exim && \
chgrp -R 0 /var/spool/exim && \
chmod -R g=u /var/spool/exim && \
ln -sf /dev/stdout /var/log/exim/mainlog && \
ln -sf /dev/stderr /var/log/exim/panic && \
ln -sf /dev/stderr /var/log/exim/reject && \
chgrp -R 0 /var/log/exim && \
chmod 0755 /usr/sbin/exim

Thanks!

Michael