Re: [exim] Web interface to manage exim 4.x

Author: Odhiambo Washington
To: Rene Bon Ćirić
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Web interface to manage exim 4.x
On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 11:39 AM Rene Bon Ćirić via Exim-users <
exim-users@???> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 1:51 AM Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@???>
> wrote:
> > Ola.
> >
> > *exim4u* is pretty modern and I use it extensively. It is a set of PHP
> scripts to help you manage domains, users, aliases.
> > It relies on MySQL as the backend. It can handle user deletions
> (although it does not delete the files on the FS) - if that is what you mean
> > by 'cleanup'.
> > Exim4U is more like the successor to vexim2, so you are right to say
> vexim2 is old.
>
> Ah, OK. Thank you for clarifying this. Still, Exim4U seems pretty old,
> at least, in it's design.

Really? What do you think is old about it? It does the job!

> I have only heard of veximpy for the first time from you today. So I have
> no experience with it. Although it seems to be something that can
> > easily break - what with all those python modules!
> >
> > If I were you, I would go with EXIM4U, but hey, if you love playing with
> Python and Nginx, then I will wait to hear from you how it goes with
> veximpy!
> > It seems rather complicated for my liking, as compared to EXIM4U.
>
> I don't like python at all. Yet, I think we need something a bit more
> modern and usable. Managing a mail server is no small task and it
> would be good to have some kind of app where you can let domain
> managers do some managing of their domain :D

I have been managing servers for over 20 years so I do understand very well
what I am saying.
You could run a single exim4u URL and have all your domain admins login
with their own domain creds.
You could also load several instances of exim4u in virtual hosts and let
domain admins only use the UI that they access
using their own domain name. Exim4U lets you do it.

> I've thought of writing a cockpit module. They use javascript though
> and I truly hate it. I would love to be able to do something in
> crystal or ruby, though. I just don't want to start from scratch.

Yes, go ahead and create something :-)

It would be a good thing if people got interested in whichever project
> and got behind it. I think it's clear we need a bit more of a
> community supporting some of these projects.

Right now I am not able to respond to that.

Exim4U works for me.

<http://wiki.exim.org/>

--
Best regards,