Re: [exim] Exim4 delay at boot

Author: Evgeniy Berdnikov
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 delay at boot
On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 08:07:36PM -0300, JHM via Exim-users wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2021 at 22:09, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:
>
> > > So, there's no IPv6 in the system or anywhere near it because I disabled it.
> > Wrong.
>
> I must insist on this:
> IPv6 is explicitly disabled on the host, the virtual machine and the ADSL router.
> *I* disabled it.

You blindly belive that all your actions lead to expected results.
But it's better to check and prove it, rather then belive.
Show us values of the kernel variables controlling IPv6 operation.

> > Exim doe not know that there is no ipv6 in the system, nor that you disabled it.
> Exactly.
> It does not know and behaves accordingly.

There is nothing wrong to use IPv6-related calls if IPv6 is disabled.
In this case they should return errors and application should process
them in proper way (disable ipv6 code paths, or do something similar).
If you insist that Exim behaves wrong, you have to provide clear evidence
of such misbehaviour.

> > Actually because your configuration left it enabled.
> If by *my* configuraton you mean the exim4.conf.template file, yes.
> I've been saying that from the very start.

Again, we are discussing some hypothesis on the configuration level, but
there were no direct proofs (strace, etc) that problem is related to IPv6.
Facts from network API or code level would help to locate the source.
--
Eugene Berdnikov