Re: [exim] Exim4 delay at boot

Author: sawbona
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 delay at boot
Hello:

On 14 Nov 2021 at 12:01, Evgeniy Berdnikov via Exim-us wrote:

> > IPv6 is explicitly disabled on the host, the virtual machine and the ADSL router.
> > *I* disabled it.
> ... blindly belive that all your actions lead to expected results.
> ... better to check and prove it ...
> Show us values of the kernel variables ...

Well ...
I don't think I have to go as far as values of the kernel variables. 8^D
Would not have idea as to where to look.

But I *do* have it directy "from the Exim's mouth", so to speak.
It is in the paniclog:

[code]
IPv6 socket creation failed: Address family not supported by protocol
[/code]

Without any editing of the exim4.conf.template file, I invariably got that paniclog message:
(yes, I am now aware that this file is a matter for Debian packagers to solve)

Adding the line disable_ipv6 = true to the the 'Main' section of the exim4.conf.template file
immediately solved the problem I was having.

ie: no 30s delay and no panic log message.

Rolling back the edit to the file got the expected result:

ie: a 30s delay at boot delay and the same panic log message.

I have no reason to doubt what Exim is reporting.

> If you insist that Exim behaves wrong ...

No.
I never said such a thing.

What I have said all along is that Exim was configured to use IPv6 by default.

Posting about the issue here set the record straight, explaining how Exim/Linux
configurations were set.

That said, I'd like to thank all who posted in reply to my queries and end my participation in
this thread.

It has been quite enlightening.

Best,