Re: [exim] exim4 stopped sending mail after upgrade from De…

Author: Gary Dale
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4 stopped sending mail after upgrade from Debian/Buster to Debian/Bullseye
On 2021-08-22 18:51, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:
> On 22/08/2021 22:31, Gary Dale via Exim-users wrote:
>> When I send e-mail through exim4, it simply stays in the queue. I'm
>> not seeing any error messages in the exim4 log
>> (/var/log/exim4/mainlog) other than ones saying the mail is still in
>> the queue (retry limit not reached).
>
> Your testing only covered the acceptance of mail into the spool by exim.
> But your problem is onward delivery from the spool.
>
> Run "mailq" to get a suitable id from the spool.  It'll look something
> like
> "1mGK9N-001iSK-9n".
>
> Force a delivery attempt of this item, with debug enabled:
>
>   # exim -d+all -M <id> 2>&1 | tee log
>
> Debug output will got to stderr, so the above captures that.
> Have a read through it.  You'll see info on all the work that
> Exim has to do just to (try to) deliver one message...
> With luck, you'll see where it goes wrong and ends up having
> failed to deliver.

I noticed that the difference between the two servers was that I'd not
accepted the new template (exim4.conf.template) on the server that still
worked but that I had in the one that broke. When I replaced the
template on the working server, it also broke.  I did make a couple of
modifications to the old template (as I recall, to handle StartTLS or
smtps) but copying them into the new one didn't help. Reverting to the
old one template fixed the problem.

The new template seems to be a lot larger than the old one. Something in
it kills my working connection to two different smarthosts.