Re: [exim] exim4 stopped sending mail after upgrade from De…

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4 stopped sending mail after upgrade from Debian/Buster to Debian/Bullseye
On 22/08/2021 22:31, Gary Dale via Exim-users wrote:
> When I send e-mail through exim4, it simply stays in the queue. I'm not seeing any error messages in the exim4 log (/var/log/exim4/mainlog) other than ones saying the mail is still in the queue (retry limit not reached).

Your testing only covered the acceptance of mail into the spool by exim.
But your problem is onward delivery from the spool.

Run "mailq" to get a suitable id from the spool. It'll look something like
"1mGK9N-001iSK-9n".

Force a delivery attempt of this item, with debug enabled:

# exim -d+all -M <id> 2>&1 | tee log

Debug output will got to stderr, so the above captures that.
Have a read through it. You'll see info on all the work that
Exim has to do just to (try to) deliver one message...
With luck, you'll see where it goes wrong and ends up having
failed to deliver.

--
Cheers,
Jeremy