Re: [exim] Building 4.94-2 from source on RHEL 6.10

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Jeremy Harris
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Building 4.94-2 from source on RHEL 6.10
On 10/05/2021 18:14, Heiko Schlittermann via Exim-users wrote:
> Richard Gilbert via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Mo 10 Mai 2021 18:31:17 CEST):
>> I have been installing Exim from source since I started using it in
>> 1996 after hearing Philip Hazel talking about Exim at a meeting in
>> Aberdeen. 4.94-2 is the first one where I have had to tell it to use
>> gcc and to specify CFLAGS += -std=gnu99.
>
> Yes, the -std=gnu99 (c99 should suffice) is necessary now, as it seems,
> that we use things like
>
>          for (int i=…; …; …)

Yes, C99 is now a requirement (over twenty years after it came out...).
Specifically for the above, I decided that the convenience of limiting
the scope of such variables was useful.

We also use named-initialisers.

The clang compiler is known to be usable, as well as gcc.

>> gcc acl.c
>> acl.c: In function ‘acl_check_condition’:
>> acl.c:3202: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type

A result of a massive and still ongoing constification effort.

I gave up running RHEL 6 buildfarm animals quite a while ago.
I do have a Scientific Linux 6.5 still running, just.

Richard, if you want visibility of build-time issues (both for
yourself and for the Exim devs), please consider setting up and
maintaining one.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy