Re: [exim] Building 4.94-2 from source on RHEL 6.10

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Heiko Schlittermann
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Building 4.94-2 from source on RHEL 6.10
Hi Richard,

Richard Gilbert via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Mo 10 Mai 2021 18:31:17 CEST):
> I have been installing Exim from source since I started using it in
> 1996 after hearing Philip Hazel talking about Exim at a meeting in
> Aberdeen. 4.94-2 is the first one where I have had to tell it to use
> gcc and to specify CFLAGS += -std=gnu99.

Yes, the -std=gnu99 (c99 should suffice) is necessary now, as it seems,
that we use things like

        for (int i=…; …; …)

And older compilers seem to require the `-std=c99` flag, newer one
probably have other defaults and accept such code per default.

> gcc acl.c
> acl.c: In function ‘acl_check_condition’:
> acl.c:3202: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
>
> exim.c: In function ‘main’:
> exim.c:4823: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type

The warnings are not normal, but it's a slow process removing them.
And it doesn't seem to be possible to make *all* compilers happy with
the same code, except creating a jungle of #ifdef … (But I'm not an
expert for portable code at all.)

> CentOS8 servers to replace them but the installed packaged version of
> 4.94 had a bug -- https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/66894 -- which
> prevented the use of AUTH PLAIN with PAM, so we decided to keep the
> old servers going for another year.)

Generally Exim should build on ancient systems (but I'm not sure how
"ancient" ancient is allowed to be. Some parts of the build environment
probably need Perl 5.10. (or 5.8?)

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann