Re: [exim] Debian9/exim4.89 does TLS and SMTP AUTH with gmai…

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Andrew C Aitchison
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian9/exim4.89 does TLS and SMTP AUTH with gmail, but Debian10/exim4.92 doesn't?
On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 12:46:39PM +0100, Andrew C Aitchison via Exim-users wrote:
> Did you log in with your web browser ?

Andrew is the winner. I did (not from that machine that does not have
Xwindow or web browsers), and made sure less secure authentication was
on, it was.
however what I needed to do is go to https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

After going through that (from another IP), then the new IP finally got
whitelisted.

> Google often blocks logins from new devices (ip addresses ?)
> until they have been confirmed on a known device.
> In the latest incarnation, they even distinguish between different apps.
> Have you enabled "less secure apps" or (X)OAUTH2 ?

Yes, that was enabled. I'd also be happy to use ASPs, but google does
not allow using ASP anymore if you aren't also using a security key,
which was not possible for a shared role account.

> When I login to google with a web browser I can view a list of all the
> devices which are allowed to use my account; if I try to connect from
> a different one it refuses the connection and alerts me here.

Yes, I did get the alert, it just gave me no clue or hint as how to
authorize that IP in the future.
https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha
is the magic answer, and it's a bit hidden.

I also wasted a lot of time because exim changed in a way that Mail -v
did not show that exim was doing STARTTLS anymore (when in fact, it did)

Thanks much,
Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                       | PGP 7F55D5F27AAF9D08