Re: [exim] DANE ERROR: TLSA LOOKUP DEFER

Author: Phil Pennock
To: daniel, Exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [exim] DANE ERROR: TLSA LOOKUP DEFER
Subject: Re: [exim] DANE ERROR: TLSA LOOKUP DEFER
On 2020-03-25 at 13:10 -0400, Phil Pennock via Exim-users wrote:
> On 2020-03-23 at 20:54 +0800, daniel via Exim-users wrote:
> > We recently received many of our end users complains that they are having problem sending email to *.gov.hk with this exim error:
> > DANE ERROR: TLSA LOOKUP DEFER
>
> Their DNS is broken.

For clarity: I did not look at any DNS records before making that
statement, it was my short-form explanation of what the error message
means in practice.

95+% of the time, it means "they have DNS servers which don't reply when
asked for TLSA records".

To get more details out of Exim, run with `-d+transport+dns` to get
debugging, enabling additional debug content in the "transport" and
"dns" areas.

-Phil