Re: [exim] DANE ERROR: TLSA LOOKUP DEFER

Author: Phil Pennock
To: daniel
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] DANE ERROR: TLSA LOOKUP DEFER
On 2020-03-23 at 20:54 +0800, daniel via Exim-users wrote:
> We recently received many of our end users complains that they are having problem sending email to *.gov.hk with this exim error:
> DANE ERROR: TLSA LOOKUP DEFER

Their DNS is broken.

> However we have contacted our government and their responds is:
> “Our DNSSEC setup is fine, and it is not nesserary to have DANE setup together with DNSSEC , so it is the exim MTA problem. We have not actually setup DANE “
> Now here comes the problem: how can we solve this problem passively? We have many cPanel server with Exim.

You have one of these two options set on your SMTP Transport:

    hosts_try_dane
    hosts_require_dane

Each of those takes a host-list, so might currently look like:

    hosts_try_dane = *

You can change that to look like:

    hosts_try_dane = !*.gov.hk : *

If the host-list references external files, take a look at those.

-Phil