Re: [exim] Dovecot style Authentication Policy Server for Ex…

Author: Mike Tubby
To: Andrew C Aitchison, exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Dovecot style Authentication Policy Server for Exim?
Thanks all for the ideas ... I'm on the case...

I have a PHP back-end under Nginx serving the Dovecot Authentication
Policy Server - I have forked this code to produce an Exim version for
the back-end and am just testing a PERL test-harness which I will
translate into a PERL authentication shim.

Right now, at the time of writing, my PERL test harness looks like this:

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
# test.pl -- test the Web Services authenticator for Exim
#
use strict;
use warnings;
use LWP::UserAgent ();
use Data::Dumper;

my $email = "myemail@???";
my $pass = "secret";
my $remote = "1.2.3.4";

my $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new(
    agent => 'EximAuth/0.01',
    timeout => 3
);

my %form;
$form{'email'} = $email;
$form{'password'} = $pass;
$form{'remote'} = $remote;

my $response = $ua->post('http://mailserver.example.com/exim-auth.php',
\%form);
print Dumper($response);
my $code = $response->code();
print "CODE: >>>$code<<<\n";

The PHP back-end accepts a POST on a URI with form data that contains:

* email address
* password
* remote IP address

the back-end considers:

    a) the username/password pair - for authentication
    b) the GEOIP of the remote IP address - for authorization

in the virtual mailbox/virtual user database, plus the remote IP in a
local copy of the DBIP GeoIP database and returns a HTTP response code:

* 204 On success (no data)
* 403 Forbidden (for authentication failure or GEOIP authorization fail)
* 400 Bad Request (for non supported methods or incomplete form data)

and logs the username (email address) and remote IP address along with
authentication success/fail and GEOIP policy success/fail and country
code to a 'connection_log' table in MySQL.

I will replace the test code with an Exim/Perl shim that does the same
thing but returns authentication 'success' or 'failure' and coerce Exim
into using it in the authenticators, later ...

The reason for all of this is that we have seen a very significant
change in the threat landscape in the last couple of years ... examining
our Dovecot logs (via the connection log/authentication policy server)
we see about 40% of failed logins from China, about 10-15% of failed
logins from Russia/Russian Federation and the rest from botnets that
present IP addresses from all over the world.

This drives us to use a more complete authentication system along with
logging and surveillance, for monitoring, reporting and compliance.

Happy to share our experiences, ideas and solutions with anyone that has
similar issues to address ...

Mike