Re: [pcre-dev] Problems and questions about locales

Author: ph10
To: Patrice Guérin
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Problems and questions about locales
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020, Patrice Guérin wrote:

> To be consistent with the pcre2_maketables_free() function in terms of
> alloc/free usage,
> provide a pcre2_maketables_reserve() function :
>
> PCRE2_EXP_DEFN uint8_t * PCRE2_CALL_CONVENTION
> pcre2_maketables_reserve(pcre2_general_context *gcontext, PCRE2_SIZE
> *table_size )
>
> which do the allocation, the same as at the beginning of pcre2_maketables()
> and can be reused here
> and return the table buffer and tables_length in table_size parameter.

Thanks for the idea, but:

I'm not sure what that gains over just using pcre2_maketables() and
having the length available so you can overwrite the tables if you want
to. An alternative is to have pcre2_maketables2() which returns an extra
parameter, but I think this is such a rare requirement, so I didn't want
to add too much to the API.

> In dftables, add a -b option to save the table buffer after computation in
> binary format instead of the C format ;
> the file argument is unchanged.

That is a useful idea; I will consider it.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel