Re: [exim] Another strange log about tainting

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Another strange log about tainting
On 16/12/2019 19:47, Ian Zimmerman via Exim-users wrote:
> Color me an unbeliever that Devuan changes Debian on this level.

I must say that I'm surprised.

> These (from my Local/Makefile) may be of interest

It's often worth checking "make FULLECHO=''" output, given the
complexity of the exim build.

> BTW, is there a test in the suite covering is_tainted()? Looks like
> having one may be a good idea. If there isn't one I volunteer to come
> up with a patch.

There is not a specific test; the taint-handling being "infrastructure"
for exim gets exercised by most or all of the testcases. It will be
hard to add one without adding a whole bunch of features to exim that
are only there for accessing the infrastructure.

Possibly simpler would be a custom check utility built and run during
the exim build, which uses the exim memory-management, and checks
for some cases we've been tripped up by. Your one seems to be a
static string. On BSDs we get alternate mmaps and mallocs assigned
interleaving addresses.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy