Re: [exim] Another strange log about tainting

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
New-Topics: [exim] The Exim buildfarm
Subject: Re: [exim] Another strange log about tainting
On 15/12/2019 01:48, Ian Zimmerman via Exim-users wrote:
> devuan linux "ascii", kernel 4.9.0-9-amd64, libc 2.24-11+deb9u4, exim
> self-built from 4.93 source.
>
> Looking how is_tainted is implemented, I see that its answer on constant
> strings would in any case depend on the order of heap versus initialized
> memory virtual addresses, which doesn't sound like the best thing to
> rely on.

Yes, if Devuan plays odd tricks with memory layout the you'll need
to define TAINT_CHECK_SLOW (for the whole build, so in a Makefile)
to avoid the optimisation that other Linuxen seem to be able to use.

If there is some compile-time identifier we could use, we could
slip this into OS/os.h-Linux
Alternatively we could hack scripts/os-type to identify Devuan
specifically, and have Devuan-special files in OS/.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy