Re: [exim] Major confusing with manual compile of Exim

Author: Bill Cole
To: Odhiambo Washington via Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Major confusing with manual compile of Exim
On 4 Nov 2019, at 10:13, Odhiambo Washington via Exim-users wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 14:21, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <
> exim-users@???> wrote:
>
>> On 04/11/2019 10:43, Odhiambo Washington via Exim-users wrote:
>>> root@gw:/usr/local/SRC/Exim/exim-4.92 # pwd
>>> /usr/local/SRC/Exim/exim-4.92
>>>
>>> root@gw:/usr/local/SRC/Exim/exim-4.92 # make
>>> /bin/sh scripts/source_checks
>>> `Makefile' is up to date.

>>> gcc buildconfig.c
>>> make[1]: exec(gcc) failed (No such file or directory)
>>> *** Error code 1
>>
>>> Why??
>>
>> You don't have gcc installed, or not in your $PATH ?
>>

> True, I do not have gcc installed anywhere.

And yet, make is trying to use it. This is because OS/Makefile-Default
says "CC=gcc" and OS/Makefile-FreeBSD doesn't correct it.

> FreeBSD uses clang and that is
> referenced from /etc/make.conf:
> CC=clang
> CXX=clang++
> CPP=clang-cpp

The Makefile for the FreeBSD port uses the value of $CC to fix
OS/Makefile-Default. Arguably OS/Makefile-FreeBSD should say "CC=cc"
since /usr/bin/cc is just another name for /usr/bin/clang.

> However, if the path was an issue, then make would grok both inside
> exim-4.92.2 and exim-4.93RC I believe.
>
> Anyway, it's just that I wanted to test out 4.93RC1, but this is
> making it
> a show-stopper and I at at the end of my wits.

Have you considered using the port's Makefile and patches as a starting
point?

--
Bill Cole
bill@??? or billcole@???