Re: [exim-dev] dnsdb lookup question

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] dnsdb lookup question
On 14/10/2019 12:28, Graeme Fowler via Exim-dev wrote:
> I have a requirement to specify a nameserver for a specific query, using dnsdb. I don't think I can do that without adding the specific nameserver address to /etc/resolv.conf, unless I'm missing some configuration option that's either blindingly obvious or ludicrously esoteric. Unfortunately that's not possible in the specific situation I'm in.
>
> Am I (missing something) or am I about to head deep into the codebase to work out how to extend the dnsdb code?

You're not missing anything. Exim just uses the system resolver library
and doesn't currently use any interface to specify a particular
nameswerver. I don't even know if there is such an API, and I'd
suggest not going looking; the resolver interface is IMHO particularly
badly documented.

Perhaps there's some perl library that does its own dns lookups, not
using the system libraries? That would be an alternate route, assuming
you're willing to use a ${perl } expansion.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy