Re: [exim] SSL encryption rejected

Author: hw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SSL encryption rejected
On Monday, 16 September 2019 22:05:47 CEST Jorge Listas via Exim-users wrote:
> days ago my hosting provider has updated exim without notifying me, from
> version 4.87_1 to 4.89
>
> It is installed on a server under CentOS release 5.11 and with openSSL 0.98e
>
> From that moment I have problems sending and receiving emails with SSL
> encryption, so my provider suggested adding
>
> hosts_avoid_tls = *
>
> in the remote_smtp: block of transports
>
> Despite this modification in the config file, a large number of emails sent
> to my server are rejected with cause:
>
> STARTTLS command rejected
>
> Has this happened to anyone?
>
> Can someone guide me on how to fix it?

I suspect that servers trying to deliver messages to your server insist on
delivering them using TLS, which you have now disabled. Perhaps the only host
to be excempted from delivering via TLS should be the one of your hosting
provider.

But then, I'd rather have all servers using TLS rather than sending them
unencrypted anyway.