Re: [exim] CVE-2019-15846 ..Exim Vulnerability

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] CVE-2019-15846 ..Exim Vulnerability
Richard Jones via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Do 12 Sep 2019 14:36:41 CEST):
> On Sep 12, Heiko Schlittermann via Exim-users wrote
> > If you're out of luck, either upgrade your Debian system to a recent
> > one, or prepare to compile Exim on your own. (This is not as hard as it
> > seems, but you have to care about further updates manually).
>
> I don't suppose anyone has magical instructions on how to do this for
> exim4-daemon-heavy?

If you only want to backport the CVE patch, this should be simple, if
you're experience somewhat in re-building Debian packages.

From my mind:

    # cd $WORKSPACE
    apt source exim4-daemon-heavy
    apt install build-depends exim4-daemon-heavy

    # chdir into to the new created exim-<version> directory
    # apply the patch (it is a one liner in src/string.c)

    # edit debian/changelog     # there exist tools for doing it, like dch
                                # take care to create a new incremented
                                # version not conflicting with further
                                # versions from Upstream

    dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us   # rebuild, do not sign anything

    cd ..

Be happy with your fresh created *deb files

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann