Re: [exim] Exim, Dovecot, mdir and hardlinks - a true story

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim, Dovecot, mdir and hardlinks - a true story
On 14/08/2019 12:37, Andrew C Aitchison via Exim-users wrote:
> I suspect an option to have a fast but inaccurate quota would be useful
> in some circumstances.

We already have maildir_use_size_file; rebuilding isn't needed often.

Do we need a fast/poor quota method for cases where the size-file
cannot be used?

Other possible ways of balancing: we currently glance at the filename,
trying to pull a size encoded in it. That saves an additional per-file
stat call to get the size. But without the stat we don't have an
inode number... we can hash the filename, but that only works if
a hardlink is to a different dir but with the same name. We could
glance at the number of links, and only bother remembering >1 link
nodes - but, again, we then need to do the stat call.

--
Cheers,
Jeremy