Re: [exim] short host name in local_domains

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] short host name in local_domains
On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 11:12:23 +0200, Heiko Schlittermann via Exim-users
<exim-users@???> wrote:
>Marc Haber via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Do 06 Jun 2019 16:07:36 CEST):
>> in Debian, local_domains gets seeded with "@:localhost" plus whatever
>> the local administrator has entered to augment the list of
>> local_domains.
>
>Why "localhost"? This would accept messages via SMTP addressed to
>USER@localhost. I'm not sure, if this is intended.

The problem is application or scripts sending mail to "strange"
unqualified or only half-qualified addresses and expect them to work.
This is a horribly big can of worms.

>> Am I doing things wrong by adding the short host name to
>> local_domains? Why does @ only expand to the FQDN and not to FQDN and
>> the short host name? Why is there not q special expansion item
>> expanding to the short host name?
>
>Imagine your host ist named "dk". Where should user@dk go to? To Denmark
>(.dk has an A record) or to your local host.
>
>From my personal point of view, mail addressing should use FQDN always,
>or no domain at all (destined for the *local* host, not *localhost*).

In theory, yes. Then comes broken software.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |