Re: [exim] short host name in local_domains

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] short host name in local_domains
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 16:05:14 +0100, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users
<exim-users@???> wrote:
>On 06/06/2019 15:07, Marc Haber via Exim-users wrote:
>> Am I doing things wrong by adding the short host name to
>> local_domains?
>
>If it works, it's hard to call it wrong.

It's a matter of personal style, I know, and I would like to know of
any situations where this might be a stupid idea.

>> Why does @ only expand to the FQDN and not to FQDN and
>> the short host name?
>
>Someone would be bound to complain, and ask for a way
>of making it only one or the other.
>
>> Why is there not q special expansion item
>> expanding to the short host name?
>
>Nobody's asked for one?
>People regard the FQDN as being more "real" for the host name?
>
>I'm guessing, only.

Obviously ;-)

>If you're wanting this for ease of deployment across many systems,
>use something like ${extract{1}{.}{$primary_hostname}}

That would be legal syntax as in

|local_domains = @:localhost:${extract{1}{.}{$primary_hostname}}:other.domain.example

?

Greetings
Marc

:
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |