[exim] exim-users list and replies

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: [exim] exim-users list and replies
On Sun, 19 May 2019 at 17:17, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <
exim-users@???> wrote:

> I don't need a copy sent direct; I read the mailinglist.
> Please use some basic mail etiquette. If Icloud is incapable
> of doing that, or makes it hard, you need to consider using
> a better provider.

If the desired behaviour for the list is for people to reply to the list as
a whole rather than the individual author perhaps the settings for the list
need reviewing and correcting. For example, Jeremy's reply to the list
includes

From: Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <exim-users@???>

then, on hitting *Reply*, most people's email clients will construct a
private reply to Jeremy's address alone. The alternative is to use *Reply
to all* which then includes the exim-users address but also retains the
Reply-to address, thereby incurring the Wrath of Jeremy.

Given that most email clients only offer *Reply* or *Reply to all* then if
we do want people to reply to the list perhaps the Reply-to header should
be set to the list's address?

Just a thought…
Mike B-)

--
*My normal working days are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.*

Systems Administrator working in Teaching & Learning
IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
Tel: +44-(0)1904-323811

Web: www.york.ac.uk/it-services
Disclaimer: www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm