Re: [exim] Bounce Handling

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Bounce Handling
MaDhAt2r via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Mi 15 Mai 2019 20:49:47 CEST):
> My clients want to use different email addresses depending on the
> department or who is sending them. i.e. books@???, tom@???.
>
> They want to keep track of bounces/deliveries.
>
> What I having trouble with is how do I send all bounces to a specific
> address or pipe because the from email address they use to send them
> will not be an actual user in the sense of configured on the server,
> just a user configured via software. (I tried setting errors_to on the
> router, but that did not seem to work)

    FROM: books@???
    TO:   subscribed@@example.org
    To:   subscribed2@???

    ---> this is now sent through your server to the outside world?

In case the bounce does not happen on your server, you're out of luck,
until you're willing to handle mails for example.com (the senders
domain) and indicate this via a proper DNS setup (MX records or proper A
records).

In case the bounce is generated *on* your server (e.g. because the
destination domain isn't reachable), it depends on you how you handle
mails from <> to books@???.

Normally the standard dnslookup router setup from the plain example
config should do. Your server behaves as almost every other MTA on this
planet: do an MX lookup and send the mail to the host willing to handle
example.com's messages.

If you want to hangle this locally, you could do so by a modified
aliases mechanism, inserted at the very beginning of your routers chain:

    bounces:
        driver = redirect
        data = ${lookup{$local_part@$domain}lsearch{/etc/exim/bounce-handler}}

And the bounce-handler file can contain alias definitions
(pipelines, other addresses, files, whatever). The router configuration
may need additional options, depending on your alias destinations.

Or directly into a command:

    begin routers:

        bounces:
            driver = redirect
            data = |/opt/bin/bounce-handler $local_part@$domain
            pipe_transport = bounce_pipe

    begin transports:

        bounce_pipe:
            driver = pipe

> Secondly, is there a way to disable the sending of "delayed" messages
> also, as I don't really need to know about them unless they are a hard
> fail.

Look for delay_warning main config option.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann