Re: [exim] manualroute defer

Author: Maarten van Baarsel
To: Andrew C Aitchison
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] manualroute defer
On 27-03-2019 10:40:17, Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the reply!

>> Can someone shed some light on this? Should I be using multiple routers with
>> an option I failed to find when reading the docs?
>
> That might get exim to try more than one host each queue run.
> However, if a smarthost is not responding, something is wrong.
> You should be aiming for this not to happen.
> If a smarthost does fail to respond, your aim is for something
> sensible to happen eventually, not to try to maximise performance.
> Thus I would be happy if the message is delivered by the next queue run.

I implemented hosts_override halfway but I dove into the docs again, and then
stumbled over fallback_hosts in the routers chapter and I think I got it now:

dnslookup:
   driver               = manualroute
   transport            = internal_smtp
   route_list           = * 192.168.84.30
   no_more

the transport:

internal_smtp:
driver = smtp
interface = OUTGOING_INTERFACE
fallback_hosts = 192.168.84.31:192.168.84.32

seems to work as I test it. There's no other routers for that transport, so I
hope it's OK.

thank you again!

Maarten.