Re: [exim] exim segfault on CSA check

Author: Bill Cole
To: Jeremy Harris via Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim segfault on CSA check
On 15 Mar 2019, at 10:54, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:

> On 15/03/2019 14:36, Mike Tubby via Exim-users wrote:
>> Does the use of a CNAME in this case violate an RFC?
>
> I've not looked hard to find one. The original RFC
> for SRV doesn't mention CNAME.

It would not be feasible to prohibit a CNAME reply for a specific query
RRTYPE, since a CNAME has always been defined as applying to all queries
for a name. This is fundamentally different from the prohibition on the
RRDATA of a MX record being a name with a CNAME record.

FWIW, in this case it appears that there's a wildcard CNAME for
*.td3x.com, effectively pointing all non-existent names under that
domain to the parent name. That practice became fairly common as a
mitigation of the Verisign "SiteFinder" fiasco and other typo-hijacking
tactics.

--
Bill Cole
bill@??? or billcole@???