Re: [exim] Exim4 and root aliases? Send a copy to root?

Author: Odhiambo Washington
To: Hany Aziz
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 and root aliases? Send a copy to root?
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 14:19, Hany Aziz via Exim-users <exim-users@???>
wrote:

> When setting up my raspberry pi to use local email (using exim4 as the
> default MTA on Raspbian/Debian), and while doing the debconf initial
> configuration, I was asked whether to forward root's email to my user
> account, and I did. In retrospect I wish I had also included root, as well
> as my user account (let's call it user1). In other words, any mail sent to
> root should in fact go to both root and user1.
>
> Changing the alias in /etc/aliases to
>
>     root: user1, root

> makes no difference. How do I now "CC" root's email to the root mail
> inbox, in addition to receiving it as user1, after the fact?
>
> I did also retest after sending out the commands (as root):
>
>     sudo newaliases

>     sudo service exim4 restart

> But, this still has no effect. "user1" still gets the email, root does not
> get a copy.

Read the default configuration for Exim. There is this paragraph:

# No deliveries will ever be run under the uids of these users (a colon-
# separated list). An attempt to do so causes a panic error to be logged,
and
# the delivery to be deferred. This is a paranoic safety catch. Note that
the
# default setting means you cannot deliver mail addressed to root as if it
# were a normal user. This isn't usually a problem, as most sites have an
alias
# for root that redirects such mail to a human administrator.

never_users = root

So, make a decision :-)

--
Best regards,