[exim] Exim4 and root aliases? Send a copy to root?

Author: Hany Aziz
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Exim4 and root aliases? Send a copy to root?
When setting up my raspberry pi to use local email (using exim4 as the default MTA on Raspbian/Debian), and while doing the debconf initial configuration, I was asked whether to forward root's email to my user account, and I did. In retrospect I wish I had also included root, as well as my user account (let's call it user1). In other words, any mail sent to root should in fact go to both root and user1.

Changing the alias in /etc/aliases to

    root: user1, root

makes no difference. How do I now "CC" root's email to the root mail inbox, in addition to receiving it as user1, after the fact?

I did also retest after sending out the commands (as root):

    sudo newaliases

    sudo service exim4 restart

But, this still has no effect. "user1" still gets the email, root does not get a copy.

Thanks.