Re: [exim] Header question, X-Relay-User

Author: Bill Cole
To: jan-jun.2019--- via Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Header question, X-Relay-User
On 3 Mar 2019, at 11:10, jan-jun.2019--- via Exim-users wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> above all, thanks for being able to join this board!
>
> Well, I have an account on a ubuntu webserver, running exim4 as
> sendmail
> replacement. And,
>
> I want to prevent exim from sending out the "X-Relay-User" header
> line.

Look in /etc/exim.conf for a transport block that looks something like
this:

    # This transport is used for delivering messages over SMTP connections.

    remote_smtp:
    driver = smtp
    headers_add = ${if def:authenticated_id {X-Relay-User:
$authenticated_id}}

Remove the unwanted line. I hope you can determine which line that is :)

Different packagers do different things with the "default" config, so
it's conceivable (albeit unlikely) that you do not have a remote_smtp
transport but rather something very similar with a different name. More
likely, you COULD have multiple similar (i.e. "driver = smtp")
transports defined which might each have the headers_add line.

[...]
> The funny thing is:
>
> When accessing /usr/sbin/exim4 locally, then Squirrel email client is
> able to write the header without "X-Relay-User" info. But,
> when accessing exim via smtp on a different box then this directive is
> ignored and the real email address is part of the header.

Not funny at all. Entirely comprehensible, since that header addition is
(usually, where I've seen it...) only added when the remote_smtp
transport is in use and there is an authenticated sender.

> Does exim only accept customized headers when called from
> /usr/sbin/exim4?

That's not it. Exim takes whatever headers it is given by any submission
mechanism and does to them what it is configured to do.

> Is it part of the default settings to write this info into the header?

On Debian-based distributions, I believe so. In the cPanel/CentOS
package, no. In the distribution tarball, no.

> Can exim be told to not write X-Relay-User even when called via smtp?

More precisely, it can be (and very often is) *not told to* add that
header.

--
Bill Cole
bill@??? or billcole@???