Re: [exim] Header question, X-Relay-User

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Header question, X-Relay-User
Hi Markus,

jan-jun.2019--- via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (So 03 Mär 2019 17:10:10 CET):
> I want to prevent exim from sending out the "X-Relay-User" header line.

In the first place I'd try to find the origin of this line.
Exim doesn't know about any such line, the X- prefix indicates, that
this isn't a standard header line.

> Reason behind is, that I am running a real email account together with
> several email redirects to this single email account. So, whenever such a
> redirect / forwarding address is being spammed, I can simply close it and
> open a slightly different one and use this instead.

Hm. This is questionable practice, but probably to the topic we should
discuss about. (I'm using a static and well known mail address for decades now.)

> When accessing /usr/sbin/exim4 locally, then Squirrel email client is
> able to write the header without "X-Relay-User" info. But,

So, probably Squirrel isn't the origin of this header.

> when accessing exim via smtp on a different box then this directive is
> ignored and the real email address is part of the header.

What directive you're talking about?

> Does exim only accept customized headers when called from /usr/sbin/exim4?
> Can exim be told to not write X-Relay-User even when called via smtp?

You can ask exim to remove any header you want. Check the docs for

        remove_header (ACL)
and
        headers_remove (routers, transports)

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany