Re: [exim] How long does $value last?

Author: Ian Zimmerman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How long does $value last?
On 2019-01-31 19:00, Jeremy Harris wrote:

> > Does it only last till the end of the current expansion? That is not
> > the sense I got from the documentation.
> >

> The docs say, regarding ${lookup } :-
>
> If the lookup succeeds, <string1> is expanded and replaces the entire
> item. During its expansion, the variable $value contains the data
> returned by the lookup. Afterwards it reverts to the value it had
> previously (at the outer level it is empty).
>
> Which part of the docs were you reading, to get a different sense?

I think I confused it with the use of $value in ${if acl{...} ...} which
seems to have no such stacking regime, or at least it is not
documented. Is that by design and why?

Be that as it may, this overloading in itself feels like a mistake. The
ACL condition should have set $acl_value or something like that. Sadly
it's probably too late to change it ...