[exim] How long does $value last?

Author: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: [exim] How long does $value last?
I do this in acl_smtp_mail:

ASN_DOMAIN = asn.routeviews.org

  warn
    condition = ${lookup dnsdb{>; txt=${reverse_ip:$sender_host_address}.ASN_DOMAIN}}
    set acl_c_sender_asn = $value

and later on, I check acl_c_sender_asn, but it seems to be empty. I
peeked in my named log and I see the query indeed takes place and
returns the expected information. So why is $value unset (apparently)?
Does it only last till the end of the current expansion? That is not
the sense I got from the documentation.