Re: [exim] How multi-recipient messages are handled?

Author: Ian Zimmerman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How multi-recipient messages are handled?
On 2018-11-18 11:50, Aki Kyo wrote:

> I want to run something like rspamd and apply per-user spam filtering,
> which means multiple recipients might have different spam scoring
> results or different white/black list results on the same message. I
> know it depends when it's done, like during the SMTP process or after
> accept.

[...]

> How does Exim handle this situation, what is the recommended approach
> taken by Exim administrators? I appreciate links, opinions, tips.
> Thank you.

There are many "dirty" ways and a few "clean" ways.

The clean ways I know of:

1. transport_filter (spec chapter 24, towards the end) on the local
delivery transport

2. a custom transport with a pipe driver, where the pipe command is a
script involving spamc

3. set up .forward files for users and leave it to them not to break it
:)

You should also look at the content scanning features and at the malware
control on ACLs. While the primary use of ACLs is at SMTP reception
time you _can_ run an arbitrary ACL from an expansion in a transport
stanza. This is what Jeremy suggested in a recent thread I started, and
I have done that and it works. That said I haven't found the malware
control very convenient to use.