Re: [exim] Exim 4.91 and eximstats

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.91 and eximstats
On 19/04/18 16:38, Paul Hecker via Exim-users wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>

>> On 19. Apr 2018, at 17:23, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
>>
>> On 19/04/18 15:59, Paul Hecker via Exim-users wrote:
>>> it seems that the eximstats script is not up to date with the current logging of Exim 4.91. In my case it does not catch temporary rejects (for grey listing) of the following form
>>>
>>> 2018-04-19 14:38:21 1f9AYC-0000P7-Ev H=from.mail.example.com [123.128.22.119] X=TLS1.2:ECDHE_RSA_AES_256_GCM_SHA384:256 CV=no F=<blah@???> temporarily rejected after DATA: Please try again later
>>
>> I don't see the words "Please try" (with the capital) nor
>> "again later" in the source code. This might be your
>> configuration.
>
> its the word “after” before “DATA” that breaks the regex. The rest of the logging (in my case “Please try again later”) does not matter.

Hmm. Do you use cutthrough routing? There's a "after" in that path.

The larger picture is: log-parsing is fragile. The Exim log is
intended for humans, not for automatic parsing. The eximstats
script, or any other parsing, is pretty much certain to get
out-of-date; the logging is not regarded as a stable interface.

You'd be better-off writing stats into a database with explicit
ACL actions.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy