Re: [exim] SIZE announcement @ connectf

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SIZE announcement @ connectf
On 20/03/18 12:24, Rob Gunther via Exim-users wrote:
> [snip]
> I did this little bit of research because I actually want to accept
> different max message sizes with Exim - BASED ON THE RECIPIENT DOMAIN.
>
> If my Exim server answers, issues a size of 157286400 is there any way I
> can (must be RFC complaint) reduce the size for specific domains?
>
> If the recipient is domain A, I want an actual max SIZE of 35883008 or
> some value lower than the size announced at initial connection.
>

> Any ideas?

message_size_limit is expandable, so if the mail server can be allocated
an interface per received domain, it could use that as a key to lookup
the value.

example.com MX 10 interface-one.example.net
example.org MX 10 interface-two.example.net

message_size_limit = ${lookup {$received_ip_address} iplsearch \
{SIZES_FILE}{$value}{50M}}

SIZES_FILE:
1.1.1.1:    20M
2.2.2.2:    150M

Otherwise, you're stuck in a Catch-22; SIZE is returned at EHLO, well
before RCPT TO, and never given to the sender again.

_Some_ sending servers will include SIZE=N on the MAIL FROM line, at
which time you could take some action. Not universal.

https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-main_configuration.html

(What happened to the anchors on individual items in the manual? Sorry,
can only link the whole page!)