Re: [exim] Exim, ClamAV and AllowSupplementaryGroups being …

Author: Andrew C Aitchison
To: Mike Brudenell
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim, ClamAV and AllowSupplementaryGroups being deprectaed
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018, Mike Brudenell via Exim-users wrote:

> When we moved to the 16.04 release ClamAV stopped working with Exim, until
> we found we had to explicitly add back an "AllowSupplementaryGroups: true"
> setting to ClamAV's configuration file.
>
> I keep reading things that newer versions of ClamAV have removed, or at
> least severely deprecated, the AllowSupplementaryGroups setting, and am
> feeling some trepidation.
>
> Does anyone here use a recent version of ClamAV with their Exim, especially
> on Ubuntu? How are you dealing with ClamAV having a group of clamav but
> also needing to be in the Debian-exim group so it has access to the mail
> spool for scanning? Or does AllowSupplementaryGroups now default to true
> and I'm worrying unnecessarily?

I'm running bleeding edge ClamAV on my home machine, but not in anger or
connected to exim.

The Changelog for v0.100.0-beta includes the following:

Thu Dec 21 17:00:37 2017 -0500 (Steven Morgan)
* bb11996 - deprecate AllowSupplementaryGroups more gracefully.

Thu, 2 Jun 2016 11:54:01 -0400 (Mickey Sola)
* bb11557 - drop AllowSupplementaryGroups option and make it default, patch by Sebastian A. Siewior

It seems that the feature is staying and it is just the option that will go away.