[exim] Exim, ClamAV and AllowSupplementaryGroups being depre…

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: [exim] Exim, ClamAV and AllowSupplementaryGroups being deprectaed
Dear all,

For our Central Mail Gateways we run Exim on an LTS (Long Term Stable)
release of Ubuntu: currently 16.04 LTS. In April this year the next LTS
release will be coming out with updated Exim and ClamAV packages.

When we moved to the 16.04 release ClamAV stopped working with Exim, until
we found we had to explicitly add back an "AllowSupplementaryGroups: true"
setting to ClamAV's configuration file.

I keep reading things that newer versions of ClamAV have removed, or at
least severely deprecated, the AllowSupplementaryGroups setting, and am
feeling some trepidation.

Does anyone here use a recent version of ClamAV with their Exim, especially
on Ubuntu? How are you dealing with ClamAV having a group of clamav but
also needing to be in the Debian-exim group so it has access to the mail
spool for scanning? Or does AllowSupplementaryGroups now default to true
and I'm worrying unnecessarily?

I can only find web pages saying its deprecated, and nothing saying how to
let the ClamAV daemon belong to multiple groups in the Brave New World of
not having this setting.

With many thanks,
Mike B-)

--
Systems Administrator & Change Manager
IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK

Web: www.york.ac.uk/it-services
Disclaimer: www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm