Re: [exim] Verifying local addresses for inbound emails when…

Author: Sebastian Arcus
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Verifying local addresses for inbound emails when using Dovecot/pipe transport

On 29/11/17 23:25, Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2017-11-29 at 22:18 +0000, Sebastian Arcus via Exim-users wrote:
>> Is there a way to build a router only for verification of local addresses
>> for inbound messages? As far as I can tell, verify = recipient doesn't work
>> when Exim delivers to Dovecot through dovecot-lda - as this always verifies
>> the recipient (as long as the domain is in +local_domains) no matter what
>> the local part is. I guess the only way is to construct an extra router,
>> which does verification separately, maybe against a separate list of local
>> addresses in a file?
>
> Yes. Put "verify_only" on that Router, and "no_verify" on the delivery
> Router, and have them adjacent in the configuration.
>
> This is also a useful split if you have to send mail off to a smarthost
> but are online and can do DNS lookups; eg "remote_dns_verify:" Router
> with "same_domain_copy_routing" and "verify_only" immediately before
> your "smarthost:" Router.
>
> I'm surprised that dovecot-lda isn't verifying the recipient. You're
> using it in LMTP mode right, so that Exim can talk to it? And if it's
> an SMTP/LMTP Driver then you probably need to explicitly do
> verify=recipient/callout in the ACL.

I use the following command line in the Exim transport (as suggested by
the Dovecot wiki) - which I don't think uses LMTP, as I've never
configured it in Dovecot:

dovecot_delivery:
   driver = pipe
   command = /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda \
         -d $local_part@$domain -f $sender_address
   message_prefix =
   message_suffix =
   delivery_date_add
   envelope_to_add
   return_path_add
   log_output
   user = vmail

I also tried verify = recipient/callout and it appears to make no difference