Re: [exim] Fwd: Rate-limit queue-processing per domain

Author: Charlie Elgholm
Subject: Re: [exim] Fwd: Rate-limit queue-processing per domain
Perhaps so, but this is now what's happening out in the real world.

We also see the same behaviour from Yahoo (who started this before the
others a couple of years ago) and from Gmail, and as I said before,
our main client thought it was a good idea and did the same in their
SMTP-server. I think it would be a good idea to have Exim play nice
with these rules.

A correct implementation would be to say something with a message at
the FIRST email you decide to block, and then block the IP-address
after that. That way our SMTP-server would send as much as it could,
and then get blocked for a while - which would indicate to Exim that
the host is down (=retry rules in effect), but I understand why
they've done it like this - since they probably have some special
rules that would let a unique message slip by anyway, not to mention
the problem they might have to block an IP-address since they probably
have quite a large load-balancing setup with many entrypoints.

I can not change the way Microsoft, Yahoo, Gmail och others do
business - but I might tweak Exim to play better with their - somewhat
bad - rules.

Cheers!

/Charlie

--