Re: [exim] Error: maximum allowed line length is 998 octets,…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Quaquaraquà
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Error: maximum allowed line length is 998 octets, got 76
On 2017-09-13 at 11:44 +0200, Quaquaraquà via Exim-users wrote:
> and the error became:
>
> 2017-09-13 11:34:07 1ds43b-0004yq-UV <= xxxxxxxxx@??? H=mout.gmx.net
> [212.227.15.18] P=esmtps X=TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:128 CV=no
> S=2150 id=3f5a9488-75fd-5d1e-8ac4-004e7564f8f9@???

This is Exim receiving the message.

> 2017-09-13 11:34:08 1ds43b-0004yq-UV == xxxx@??? R=local_users
> T=dovecot_lmtp defer (-1): LMTP connection closed after initial connection

This is Exim reporting that it tried to hand the message off to Dovecot,
using the `dovecot_lmtp` transport, but that the connection got closed
on Exim.

So Dovecot is failing and Exim is just the messenger in the middle.

I highly doubt that _all_ your messages had lines great than 998
characters, those are rare; I think that LMTP handoff problem is likely
to be a/the real problem here, the other message was just noticeable
because Exim was able to report more clearly what has happening in that
scenario.

-Phil