[exim] .so plugins - was Re: Retiring old build targets

Góra strony
Autor: Andrew C Aitchison
Dla: exim-users
Stare tematy: Re: [exim] Retiring old build targets
Temat: [exim] .so plugins - was Re: Retiring old build targets
On Sun, 6 Aug 2017, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> On 2017-08-06 14:39, Jeremy Harris wrote:
>> Any other compiler features you'd like to see used?
>
> Not really a compiler feature, but how about making lookups (and maybe
> other plugin like features) into real .so objects, to be loaded with
> dlopen() and linked with dlsym()?
>
> When I started (and stopped) adding a new lookup earlier this year, I
> quickly realized it would be more work than I expected, with changes
> needed in multiple places in the code and the build system.

I see it as we (ie Jeremy) would have another place to be very careful
about file permissions.
*If* we allow .so objects, can I suggest that they must be in the
same dir as the binary (might accept the config file)
(or just a specific named subdir thereof)
and the config cannot specify a directory for the "plugin".
It goes without saying that the plugin should not be writeable
by anyone other than root.
(I am sure there are more things to consider;
I've taught myself enough secure coding to be dangerous).

I'd be happier not going down this route.

--
Andrew C Aitchison