Re: [exim] TLS error on connection to smtp.office365.com (g…

Author: Boylan, Ross
To: Lena@lena.kiev.ua, exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] TLS error on connection to smtp.office365.com (gnutls_handshake): An unexpected TLS packet was received.
Thank you! The problem was that the transport had protocol = smtps. I changed it to smtp, and now it works.

The transport was
remote_smtp_smarthost:
  debug_print = "T: remote_smtp_smarthost for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = smtp
  protocol = smtps
  headers_rewrite = +rb_ucsf xxx@??? h
  return_path = xxx@???
  hosts_try_auth = <; ${if exists{CONFDIR/passwd.client} \
        {\
        ${lookup{$host}nwildlsearch{CONFDIR/passwd.client}{$host_address}}\
        }\
        {} \
      }

I would like to check my understanding of what $host means in this context, as well as in the context of the authenticators which include the following code:

PASSWDLINE=${sg{\
                ${lookup{$host}nwildlsearch{CONFDIR/passwd.client}{$value}fail}\
                }\
                {^^}\
            }

The router uses smtp.office365.com, but this ends up resolving to different hosts, all of which seem to be called outlook-namwest.office365.com at the moment.

I think for the transport $host will be outlook-namwest.office365.com, and for authenticators the same. Is that right?

Is there an easy way for the transport and authenticator to access the original host name used by the router?

Finally, is there a way to get what the configuration is *after* all the macro processing? It has a lot of .ifdefs in it.