Re: [exim] require verify = sender description

Góra strony
Autor: Heiko Schlittermann
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] require verify = sender description
Chris Siebenmann <cks@???> (Fr 07 Apr 2017 17:16:34 CEST):
> > how does verify = sender work. I can't find anything that says what
> > it does exactly in the docs. I'm seeing a valid sender get rejected
> > several times before being finally accepted.
>
> As Jeremy Harris covered, 'verify = sender' attempts to route the
> sender address and uses the result. One consequence of this is that
> you can manually test whether a sender address will route and why
> it's failing with 'exim -bt <address>', possibly adding debug flags
> as necessary to extract things like DNS failure information.

I believe, it's not 100% correct. The *verifcation* can be simulated by
using `exim -bv <address>` for recipient addresses, and `exim -bvs
<address>` for sender addresses.

The distinction is important, since there might be routers that are not
responsible for one or the other kind of address.

`exim -bt <address>` does a routing test, not a verification test,
though in most cases the tests are almost identical (modulo permission
issues, if I remember well. -bt runs with root permissions, as -bv
doesn't, or the other way round. There was some kind of logic, but just
now I do not recall…)

Yes, I think, -bt uses root permissions, as the real routing runs with
root permissions too, because it might need access to ~/.forward files
and such. The root/non-root isn't important, as long as no external
files are involved.

But as always, I may be wrong.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden