Re: [exim] block replies only

Góra strony
Autor: Mike Brudenell
Dla: Exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] block replies only
Hi, Terry -

To clarify… Are you saying you'd like this behaviour between two people "A"
and "B":

1. A sends a message to B and it is delivered to B.
2. B replies to A and it is delivered to A.
3. Any further reply from A should be delivered to C instead?

(You also confuse things a bit by saying in the Subject you want to "block"
replies, but within your message say you want to "forward" them: very
different actions! :-)

The usual way to do this would be for B's reply at step (2) to include a
"Reply-to:" header to request that if A replies their response goes to the
email address specified — in the example above that of C:

This header would usually be added by B's email reading software (this is
the best option), or I guess you could configure Exim so that any messages
being sent out from A had the header added (after deleting any that are
already present?).

Note that including a "Reply-to:" header is merely a *request* to A's email
client program to send any further reply to C instead of B. However most
email reading programs do honour this, so would likely do what you want.

An alternative…

If you're not worried about B's address showing in the "From:" header of
their reply I guess you could send the reply at step (2) back from C's
address. That's arguably more sure of directing any future replies from A
to C as you've removed B's email address from the headers, but the person
who originally wrote in to B might be surprised and confused at getting a
reply from C instead!

I'd suggest trying adding the "Reply-to:" header to B's replies in the
first instance…

Cheers,
Mike B-)